Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Setbacks and Blessings

Choosing obedience is never the easy path. I knew my West Africa adventure had more to do with being obedient rather than a job opportunity, but I'm feeling the pinch and discomfort of that decision this week.

Apparently, preparing to relocate to a new country is an expensive process. I'll be very honest and say that my credit card bill this month is the largest I have ever seen. Between doctor's appointments, supplies, passport fees, and vaccinations, my personal savings is all but gone. I didn't stress about it, however, because these expenses are all necessary, and I trust the Lord to provide for me. But sometimes it's hard to see, even with the help of the Almighty, how I'm going to dig myself out of this one.

I still can't move forward with my visa without some key documents from the school's superintendent. Unfortunately, their email servers have been down for almost 2 weeks. [Normally, I would post the link to the school here, but, alas, the website's down, too.] The visa is absolutely essential, so I stayed up Sunday night to call the school. I called at 2:30am, 3:30, 4:30 and 9, and the line was unavailable every time.

Routine setbacks spark doubt. Yesterday was a doubt-filled day. I wondered if I could make it to Nigeria on time. I questioned the legitimacy of the entire offer. I wondered if the money I've spent will even be worth it. Combine these doubts with the ever-present questions I have about moving to a new country and beginning an entirely new profession, and I was pretty depressed last night.

But my God is a God who provides.

Right before I went to bed, I opened my mail. There was a royalty check from Disney, for satellite TV and Pay-Per-View airings of The Parent Trap. The amount was almost exactly the amount of my credit card bill--in fact, it was a shocking $30 more. The Lord orchestrated that film opportunity for me as a 10-year-old and it was beyond my understanding then. Almost 12 years later, He's still using it to bless me. It's funny to me that I am continually surprised by God's provision. I should be used to it by now.

Lesson for the week: Obedience allows God to bless us.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie, I am *excited* to see God lead you to these places and to watch your faith in Him grow. In the same way that God has used your past (in unknowing ways at the time) to provide for you, so too will this experience continue that pattern. How glad I am to be able to pray for you on this venture! Thanks for keeping us posted through the blog!

    ~Deborah <3

    ReplyDelete