Friday, April 9, 2010

cheaters never prosper

...unless they're in government.

(Just kidding. Today's political humor brought to you by an American not living in America.)

I assigned essays to four classes over Easter Break. I know, I know, who gives homework before a holiday? But knowing these students, they need the extra time to do the research and writing process. A full week with no class seemed like a good opportunity. Besides, it was only a rough draft due when they returned from break.

Then a student who ordinarily struggles to put together a complete sentence produced a 3-page, single-spaced persuasive essay on the causes and solutions of air pollution.

WARNING DANGER RED ALERT

Hello, plagiarism.

I started typing in words and phrases into a Google search, and up popped the Wikipedia article. Directly copy and pasted. He didn't even bother with an introduction. Or a conclusion, for that matter. He literally stopped at the end of the third page, even though he was in the middle of an argument against gas engines. I took my highlighter to every word that was not his own.

Then I did the same with the next paper. And the next. And the next. 10 essays later, I was disappointed and frustrated. And a little bit stupefied that these kids actually thought they could pull one over on ol' teach here. I mean, two of them copied from each other. How dumb do they think I am?

Then again, that's not a fair rhetorical question. The better question is: how lazy are they? They had 11 days to type a 2-page double-spaced essay with two sources, neither of which could be Wikipedia. (They were astonished by the concept of reliable and unreliable resources.) It wasn't even a final draft! Only a rough draft!

Thus, their copying directly from Wikipedia told me that they were lacking in motivation. And I was determined to give it to them.

The next day, I passed back the 16 essays, 10 of which had yellow highlighter markings. I asked everyone who turned in an essay to stand up. Then I asked everyone who didn't have any highlighter to sit down. They totally bought it. They thought it was a game. While I theoretically cannot condone the shaming of a child, I spoke directly to the standing students and gave them a speech that went something like this:
"You're standing because the words in your essay aren't yours. They are someone else's and you copy-and-pasted them and put your name at the top. If I wanted to read what someone else thinks about these environmental issues, I would have gone out to Wikipedia, or GoogleNews, or CNN or BBC and read their articles. I want to know what YOU think. I care what YOU think. I want to hear YOUR ideas for solutions."

I then cautioned the entire class: anything highlighted must be deleted from the essay. For 5 students, this meant starting completely over. They have the rest of the week and the weekend to produce a final draft. If there's any further plagiarism, they'll receive a zero.

This sort of situation brings up some real issues for me in regards to standards of excellence here in Nigeria. Cheating, excuses, copying, missing work, late work, laziness: some teachers just smile and shake their heads, but I can't do that.

If you ask my Grade 6 for my test-taking mantra, they'll chant for you: "Talking = Cheating = Failing." If you ask my Grade 12 for my late work policy, they will tell you: "No late work. If it's late, it's a zero."

I know I'm the only high school teacher with a late work policy, but I can't compromise. These students can be held to a high standard. I agree I must make reasonable expectations for them, but expecting them to turn in work when it's due is not unreasonable.

Because we're starting the last quarter of the school year, I gave my students the following pledge:
No more zeroes. I will make sure of it. I will push you until you bleed. [The boys grunted their approval.] I will push you until you cry. I will push you until you hate me. [One girl in the back cried out, "We could never hate you, Miss Thomas!"] You will not fail my class this term. Cue the inspirational music...

But so help me, if those final drafts are plagiarized, I'm going to be handing out big fat zeroes, whether I want to or not.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Maggie.
    When going through the education department at Wheaton I feel like we were asked all.the.time. to describe teachers that had had a profound impact on us. The one that always came to mind for me (and my classmates must have heard me describe him 2.3 million times) was my soph. & jr. English teacher who was also my track coach. He had impacted me because of his high expectations. He expected as much as I could give both in the classroom and on the track and because of that I gave more and performed better.
    I have no doubt that you will be that teacher for many of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I haven't read your blog before Maggie. I love it.

    ReplyDelete