Friday, April 16, 2010

in which the teacher struggles

As a brand-new teacher, I'd like to think that a small part of my educational philosophy goes something like this: "To encourage young minds in the skills of critical thinking, analysis, and persuasion." I truly do want to see my students think on their feet and defend their own positions on topics as varied as they are.

I just cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to grade essays in which the argument is based on flawed logic.

I have a particular student in mind: one of those pensive, quiet thinkers who doesn't say much until questioned and then you realize they've absorbed every word you've said. He's a sensitive young teenager with an uncommon sense of right and wrong. This kid is so black-and-white, I feel like 8 shades of gray, pale next to his resoluteness.

He wrote an essay this week on the topic of homosexuality and gay marriage. He fulfilled all the requirements of the essay: length, format, proper sources; he took a position and he argued it, which is exactly what I asked for. God love him, that's a tough topic for most, not least of all, such a young student. I truly admire his pluck.

It's just that the majority of the argument was ineffective; based on assumption, not fact. His suggested solutions were improbable. While I respect him and the topic he's trying to tackle, I have to strike a balance of feedback somewhere between "That's absurd" and "Good for you for making the attempt."

[In a brief but requisite disclaimer: this has nothing to do with his views on the topic, and everything to do with the logic he uses to argue his position.]

CALLING ALL TEACHERS: How do I continue to fulfill my educational philosophy and support this student with enormous potential while, at the same time, pushing him towards a higher level of analysis? How do I encourage him truthfully without crushing his spirit? (because crush I most certainly could.)

At Wheaton, my English profs would have written me a brief but gut-punching marginal comment and I would have reworked my argument by returning to commentaries by accomplished scholars, borrowing logic, and developing a critical but compelling argument of my own. But this is high school. He's 14.

I'm in over my head here. Help.

3 comments:

  1. Why not just sit down and talk with him on Monday? Say, hey, you are a great student and writer, but you need some work on your cause and effect... the back-ups for your arguements. A lot of times, if I need a lot of sources for a paper and I am having trouble finding ones that apply, I'll pick ones with random facts that don't really fit in and just plug them in so I can get another source. It is possible that's what he was doing. Good luck Mags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi love. That's a tough one. I would agree that as his teacher, you are not only to care about his writing skills, but also about his reasoning and analytical skills. And just as you grade his writing skills based on his age and English proficiency, I think you also need to consider his analytical skills based on the same things. It's a topic you care deeply about, and have probably researched well. He may not have the same benefits. I would point out all the good things to him - that he fulfilled all of the requirements of the assignment. But also point out the flaws in logic in a kind, but factual way. Just my two cents. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help. Unfortunately I have the same problems with college students at COD. I hope you can teach at least some of your students how to think better. Even teaching them the form of a basis five paragraph essay is such a great gift to them that can serve them for a life time.

    ReplyDelete