Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nigeria Day Celebrations

Since today is Nigerian Independence Day, ICS celebrated yesterday with a morning program for the parents. The whole day was a big to-do, and everyone dressed up in traditional Nigerian dress -- even expatriates, including me! It was truly one of the best days I've had since arriving 6 weeks ago. Below are just a few highlights from the day.

Everyone, meet my 11th grade homeroom class. These 4 students (yep, just 4) are known as "the angels" by the rest of the staff and it didn't take me long to agree with them. After my first week of school, the students presented me with cloth they'd purchased in the market; I had it made into the skirt and blouse you see in the picture. These students are some of the most hard-working and studious kids I've ever met; I'm routinely the first to leave the classroom at the end of the day - they love school so much they just stay. (Add that to the list of differences between America and Nigeria!) Also, let's just acknowledge now that I look about as old as they do. I know, I know.
And yes, that's me with my hair in plaits. I don't think it's the right style for me, but it definitely made me feel a bit more Nigerian! I also wore a traditional head tie during the morning celebration, but as the day wore on it became Nigeria-hot, and for the love of all things good and sacred, I had to sacrifice the head tie. Seriously. The Hot Season is headed my way and I'm already melting.

These precious faces belong to the two youngest girls in Drama Club, which I help lead. Our club performed a dramatic reading of a poem about Nigeria at the morning program, which I helped choreograph and direct. The young ones at our school are collectively known as "babies," not out of condescension but out of love and affection. These girls, my Drama Babies, give me hugs every time I see them. They light up my day.


These are my new friends Leke and Henry. Leke is doing his I.T. with us (it's like student teaching) while he completes his university studies, and Henry works in the Print Office at school (someone told me he's also a tribal Chief). The 3 of us are probably closer in age than anyone else in the school, and they're really easy to get along with. (Also, note my head tie.)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! It is so great to see pictures of you and your students! :) Looks like you are fitting right in. :)
    I'm starting to be jealous of the weather in Nigeria... it's been rainy and cold here for a couple of days now. Fall has definitely arrived. Work is still crazy, but should hopefully slow down in a couple of weeks. Love you, and hope to get a phone call soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete