Friday, September 18, 2009

Fridays are the Best Days of the Week

Oh, how I love Fridays. As a young girl I loved Fridays. As a college student I loved Fridays. Now, as a teacher, I love Fridays still.

This Friday I gave 3 tests, played the Hangman game to help my 6th graders learn vocabulary words, and wore another Nigerian dress to school. Mrs. Opara, the music teacher, took one look at me in my dress and said, "Miss Maggie, someone is going to marry you here in Nigeria!" I'll upload pictures eventually!

This Friday is particularly wonderful because it is the beginning of a 4-day weekend for us! It's the end of Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting, and the Sallah is a public holiday...one of the benefits of living in a half-Muslim nation!

I've discovered that in moving to a brand-new country, I've come to treasure and celebrate small victories. Yesterday I went someplace alone and it was wildly successful! Before my parents die of heart attacks, allow me to explain: Our school is positioned quite close to a popular restaurant franchise called Chicken Republic. We're so close, in fact, that there's a shortcut leading directly from the front gate of the school to the front doors of the restaurant. Jan and I have popped over there for our after-school lunch occasionally, so I know the way quite well.
I did everything the way I was supposed to: I took only the cash I needed to buy food, I told my fellow teachers AND the guard at the front gate where I was going, I walked directly there, ate my food, and walked directly back. My grand adventure lasted all of 20 minutes, and 7 of those were spent waiting for my chicken sandwich to be made!
It's really not a big deal, but it feels monumental to me. I've never before appreciated feeling independent and safe at the same time.

Last anecdote of the day: Right before I left for Nigeria, my mom asked me if I wanted to take some packages of Ramen Noodles with me. If I remember right, I think I looked at her with self-righteous disdain and said, "Mom, I'm out of college now. I don't want to eat Ramen if I can help it."

Oh, oh, oh, how mistaken I would be.

Here in Nigeria, a favorite snack of adults and children alike is Indomie, which looks like, smells like, tastes like, is prepared like and has the same exact packaging as Ramen noodles. Not only do I eat it, but I bought a case of it in the market. The only difference between Indomie and Ramen is that Indomie provides a flavoring packet and a chili pepper packet, and I use them both. Not bad for a girl previously allergic to any kind of spice!

1 comment:

  1. I love you and miss you. And am so thankful you have better Internet access now! It is great to hear how and what you are doing. :) And as always, you write beautifully - I feel like I'm there!

    And you're going to be a clarinet teacher?? Crazy! Can't wait to see more pictures! I will post some of the house and the little man soon. :)

    ReplyDelete