Monday, September 21, 2009

See? Could be worse...

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I spent the afternoon with K, a sweet lady from the South who moved to Nigeria 14 years ago. Apparently, she met her husband (a Nigerian) in the States, went to visit him in Nigeria, stayed for a month, and then decided to move here. She came home to tell her parents she was moving to Nigeria to be with a man they'd never met.

See, Mom and Dad? It could be worse...at least you had a month to process my leaving!

Just putting it into perspective.

Love,
Maggie


[On a more serious note, it appears that most of the women I've met who relocate from the US to Nigeria do so because they've fallen in love with a Nigerian. I appear to be in the minority, coming to Nigeria for the sake of employment, and because I'm recklessly independent. I think I still like being me.]

1 comment:

  1. Audrey Thomas22 September, 2009

    Thanks for keeping things in perspective. I'm going to remember the words of this post as you begin to meet others...and as you get more marriage proposals...just in case you need reminding of how "recklessly independent" you are. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete