Monday, February 8, 2010

Today

...was a great day!

February is Reading Emphasis month at ICS, and grades K-12 are participating in D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read), in which students drop whatever they're doing and read a book they've chosen (one appropriate to their own reading level). Grade 6 is my most out-of-control class, but today the kids settled right down with their DEAR books and it was silent--completely!--for 20 minutes. I was so shocked I honestly left the class to get my camera. When I came back--still silent! When I took a picture and a video--still silent! I could have cried for happiness.

Next was Grade 12. I've been struggling with this Brit Lit class,--blamed on a lack of interest and respect--but I put on a brave face today, determined not to let their antics ruffle me. A student affected this fake accent just to mess with me, so I mirrored his speech so he could hear how ridiculous he sounded. He gave up. Miss Maggie: 1, Grade 12: 0.

The rest of the morning was spent out of class for Sports Day Practice. I get a little intense about competition (a massive understatement) and my throat is scratchy after cheering on the Red Draco team this morning! We're number 1, not 2, not 3, not 4. We're gonna win, not lose, not tie the score...

The entire morning was punctuated by clobbering hugs from Grade 2 students. Niyi jumped me about 5 times. Feyi, Ugonna, and Seun fought over who got the frontal full-body hug. Getting loved on by 8-year-olds has to be one of the greatest feelings in the world.

As the morning practice wrapped up, one of the kindergarteners tripped and fell. She burst into these choking little sobs and I picked her up to examine her hand. The palm was intact - not even a grass stain - but I kissed it anyway. It totally worked. I'm not even a Mom yet and I'm kissing owies to make it all better. Oh man I love my life.

I can't wait to see tomorrow, because I loved today.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie, your parents have so many reasons to be proud of you. I am so proud of the woman you're becoming, and I only got to spend a short time with you. You are learning so much about teaching, and you are learning an abundance of parenting skills. I have no doubt that you will be an incredible parent when the time comes. Big hugs from snowy Minnesota!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey Thomas09 February, 2010

    I wish I could be there to see how your students love you. It's not hard for me to imagine; I only have to conjure up memories of your teaching days with Missionettes or your camp counseling experiences to get a gimpse of the love and admiration your students have for you. I only wish I could be there to take it all in with you.

    You are blessing others but reaping great blessings in return. Isn't God good?!?!

    ReplyDelete