Sunday, May 9, 2010

the ugly truth

There's not enough honesty these days. Let's start a revolution. I'll go first, okay?

1. I eat when I'm bored. It's not such a problem here in Nigeria, where the readily-available snacks include peanuts and mangoes, but it might be a problem when I move home.

2. Every day I become a little bit more like my mom. Happy Mother's Day, Mama! I love you!

3. I hate chalk. My students find this hilarious. I wrap my chalk in masking tape so I don't have to touch it. Interestingly enough, I can scrape my nails down a chalkboard--no problem--but chalk dust gives me the shivers.

4. My full name is Margaret Emma, but I never met either great-grandmother whose name I bear. I wish I knew more about them.

5. The astronomical maternal mortality rates in Nigeria really bother me. I wish I had a background in medicine or nursing so I could make a difference in that area.

6. I always cry in the first 2 minutes of Love Actually. The Heathrow Airport arrivals gate scene gets me every time.

7. Given the opportunity, I would share just one message with every teenage girl: You are beautiful. I feel like this world would be a different place if every girl believed that about themselves.

8. I am judgmental. I think it is my ugliest flaw, and the most stubborn one to ditch.

9. I'm very aware of how other people see me and I worry what others think of me. It is grossly unhealthy and quite hypocritical. See #7.

10. Someday I'm going to own a yellow Labrador. I hope this is sooner rather than later.

Okay, your turn. Leave a comment and tell me something true about you.

3 comments:

  1. Audrey Thomas10 May, 2010

    Okay. I'll play your game.

    Sometimes I go into your bedroom. I just stand there in the doorway, imagining you sitting in your reading chair, with your lamp on behind you. Sometimes I go to your closet, in hopes of "smelling" you on the clothes that you left behind. Tears are sometimes involved.

    Sorry if this sounds morbid. But I think it speaks to how much you're missed. The next six weeks can't fly by fast enough. We're all counting the days.

    Love you so much,
    Mom
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I help you pick out your Labrador? There is a really cute one that lives near our apartment complex and it likes to give lazy barks at Jack when we walk by.

    My truth: I am also very judgmental, and have a major "older brother" complex (as in the older brother in the Prodigal Son). Thanks for your honesty. I am glad you are starting that revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous16 May, 2010

    I once taught this little girl in 2nd grade that I knew would grow up and change her world for Jesus~ and I was right!

    Honestly~ I am the most judgemental person you've ever met~ claiming to others what I think kids will grow up to be.... Thanking God that with YOU I was exactly right!!!!!
    Love you Mags;)

    ReplyDelete