Monday, June 28, 2010

the eyes have it

You know who's really great? My optometrist.

I've been with the same doctor for years and she is always so excited for me and what's new in my life. She was a saint to introduce me to my favorite contacts ever (Focus Night & Days) - what contact-wearing college student wouldn't be thrilled to have 24-hour 30-day contacts, I ask you.

I remember telling her I was moving to Nigeria and would potentially experience some dusty conditions (oh sweet deluded me, I had no idea what Harmattan would be like). She made me promise to take out my lenses nightly to reduce the risk of corneal infection, which I did, faithfully.

You have to understand, I'm pretty serious when it comes to my eyes. They're probably my most beloved body part. (Oh, come on, you know you have your favorite, too - cute toes, rockin' abs, gorgeous hair, etc.) I've had a very serious relationship with my eyes since I was in 2nd grade. I first got glasses at age 8, went into my first pair of gas permeable contacts at age 10, had my first set of corneal ridges at 15; I mean, I've been around the Eye Care block. When it comes to my eyes, I just don't mess around.

So when my eye doctor tells me to take out my lenses every night in Africa because of corneal infections, you'd better believe I do exactly what she says.

Flash forward to Harmattan season, when my right contact quite literally leaps off my eyeball in the middle of my 6th grade class (awkward). When I got back to the States, I more or less gave up on contacts and have been in glasses pretty consistently for the past week. I went in to see the doctor this morning, and apparently I brought back an extra souvenir from Nigeria!

Turns out, I have developing blisters on the inside of my eyelids. NASTY. These blisters grab at my contact lenses and move them out of place when I blink. My doctor is chalking it up to "environmental causes"...also known as living in Nigeria.

After a week of very limited contact wear, copious amounts of eye drops (yes I'm going to be that girl once an hour for the next week), and a new brand of lenses, my eyes should be back to normal.

It's so nice to know that my eyes are in good hands. Well, sort of.

Some unsolicited advice? If you're moving to Nigeria, wear glasses.

1 comment:

  1. One word: LAZIK
    When I sensed the moving to more international travel in places where electricity is unstable at best and I was blind as a bat it was time. That was in '06 and although my first week was tougher than most due to latex allergies (drops every 1/2 hour), I have never looked back.

    ReplyDelete