Thursday, June 10, 2010

final lessons

Back in October, when my students and I were still feeling each other out and testing the boundaries (okay...I guess they still do that!), I assigned my Grade 8 students to write themselves a letter. I told them about my positive experiences having done it at the beginning of high school and the beginning of college and how rewarding it was to reread how my brain worked with several years' perspective.

Today, our last class period of the year, I gave them back their letters. I realize that 8 months doesn't quite have the same effect as 4 years, but I won't be here next year.

They were amazed. They read quietly, quickly, completely captivated. They laughed in spite of themselves. We talked about how we can change so much in 8 months. Someone remarked that the people he disliked in his letter he gets along with now.

I encouraged them that if they had unfinished business with people, now was the time to fix it. I sat back, jaw agape, as they crossed popularity lines, clique lines, and gender lines to hug one another and sort out their differences. It was truly touching. My kids are amazing.

I reminded them that the next time I see them (speaking in faith here) they will be much much different than they are now, but I have so enjoyed seeing them mature this year and can't wait to see the people they grow up to be.

While I managed to make it through the day without crying, the girls did not. I doled out the hugs and they really did cry as they begged me not to go. It was tough stuff.

Moments like these make me want to throw my hands in the air and ask God "Why this? Why now?" I'm sure he's got this all under control, but sometimes I'd really like to be let in on the secret.

One week from right now, I'm going to be on a plane. holy crap.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey Thomas10 June, 2010

    I'm curious. Did you write a letter yourself, at the beginning of your Nigerian adventure? If so, are you prepared to re-read it to see how far you've come?

    ReplyDelete