Friday, June 4, 2010

We are now inside 2 weeks, and I'm feeling extremely anxious.

I don't know how to do this in reverse.

11 months ago, when I decided to leave behind everyone I love and everything I know and move to a foreign country to take a job in a field in which I am neither trained nor experienced, the 2 weeks prior to departure were insane. At least then, I knew what to do. I had a checklist, a plan. I knew what to take, what to prepare for.

I just don't know how to undo it all.

I mean, who's going to sit by me while I pack and ask the tough questions ("Will you really need this?" "Can you live without this?" and my personal favorite: "It's a teacher's bag. You're going to be a teacher. You need this.")? Who's going to help me weigh my bags and remind me how to do simple math?

And the deeper questions: Will these goodbyes be harder, knowing it could be (and in some cases, will be) forever? What sense of loss will accompany this leaving? How will this grief manifest? Will culture shock actually happen to me? Am I going to become a strange maladjusted ex-expatriate, incapable of balancing the two cultures I have come to love?

And, most nagging of all, what if I fall right back into my pre-Nigeria life and habits?

Now accepting advice...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous05 June, 2010

    Dearest Maggie,
    Cast all your cares on Him. You have walked faithfully while He prepared you for the chapter that is now closing. He will be faithful to you as you "re-enter" your life back in the U.S.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not worry about tomorrow, my dear one! Just live in His grace one day at a time, and He will provide all you need. I wish I could be there to help you through this, but I assure you I will be here when you get home!!

    I also assure you that you won't be the same person you were when you left. It will be hard, and it will be wonderful, and God will see you through. Press into Him, love.

    I am so so so very very excited to see you!!!

    Great big hugs...
    Love,
    Your sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey Thomas05 June, 2010

    The good-byes you will be facing shortly will no doubt be difficult ones. I know you are grateful for this past year and the experiences and people you have encountered. You will NEVER be the same. This past year has shaped you in ways that you don't even see right now. But have confidence that your faith is greater today than it was when you arrived in Nigeria. And you have seen God's provisions in ways that are amazing and miraculous.

    We are so excited to have you back!
    Love,
    Mom
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete